Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rosie's Riveters: Eva & Anne Shirley

Rosie's Riveters is a weekly posting written by Booklust readers about riveting females in literature. Many readers have strong reactions to the women in the books they read- either very positive or very negative. These are the characters we find riveting, for good reasons or bad ones, and they form the population of Rosie's Riveters. Through this weekly post, we can discuss females we love to hate, or love to love. And maybe, just maybe- we can determine why we react so strongly to them.

If you are interested in participating, please comment on this post and I'll add you to the line-up!

This week's post is from Eva, whom many of you know already from her excellent blog, A Striped Armchair. Eva is one of my new(er) book buddies, though we seem to have similar taste in books. This is exemplified by Eva choosing Anne Shirley as her Rosie Riveter, a character I grew up adoring. Eva reads and reviews a very wide array of books on her blog- all of which tend to end up on my wish list!

And here is Eva's post:

Who is your Riveter?

Anne Shirley. I spent a long time trying to think of a less obvious
choice, but I just kept coming back to her!

What book does she feature in?

She's in a series by L.M. Montogomery. The first book is Anne of
Green Gables. We see her grow from childhood to adulthood and become a mother.

Do you love her or hate her?

I adore her!


Describe her personality- how would you describe her to a friend?

I'd say she's a perfect friend: loyal and loving, funny and smart and
wonderful at imagining games and stories. But she also has a fast temper and can carry a grudge. :D

Can you compare her to a celebrity?

Not really!


What makes her riveting?
First of all, she's always having amusing adventures, which makes the
books fun. And it's wonderful to grow up with her, seeing her change and adapt to new challenges. But what makes her riveting is the combination of her wonderful way of seeing the world (she uses her imagination all of the time) and her striving to be a good person.

What do you most
admire/despise about her?
I admire her strength of character. Once she has decided what is
right or wrong, she'll abide by it even if it pains her. And she's very honest with herself and consequently others. Her devotion to family is wonderful, and ties into her strong sense of right-and-wrong. Also, once she's older, she's wonderful with children; I admire that as well. There's so much about her to admire!

Would you recommend reading the book in which the Riveter features?

Definitely! I've reread them all more than once and delight in them. :D


Any parting remarks?

This is a wonderful series and thanks for inciting me to take part! :)

6 comments:

  1. Aha, how dumb I was for not getting that that Anne Shirley was Anne Shirley :)
    She is the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/10/2009

    Hey Eva, great choice. I would have picked Anne Shirley too. I have read the book just once but I don't remember how many times I have watched the movie :)

    Great series Aarti. My mom's name is Aarti by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother loves the series but alas, I've never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I can't believe you've never read the Anne of Green Gables series! It's so good! Maybe we should make that a reading challenge :-)

    Violet, does your mom spell her name the same way that I do? There are so many different spellings. But it's a good name ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She used to spell it Arti but some years back she decided she needs an 'a' more just bcoz it looks nice:)

    Officially she is Arti though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving this feature! I have never read this particular series, though my daughter has. I have long wanted to, I just haven't yet had the time. When I do I will be interested in spending some time with Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment posted on this blog, even if it sometimes takes me a while to respond. Thank you for taking the time and effort to comment here! Unless you are spamming me, in which case, thanks for nothing.